Friday, October 10, 2008
Foreign Cruise
Ok, so we just went down to the tip of the Baja peninsula but I got a much more foreign experience then I was planning on. For those that have never been on cruise before, something you may not know is that the service staff are all foreign. Their name tags list the country they are from and they work on the ship for an extended period of time. It didn't take long to realize how many of these service women were from Thailand. Seems they hire a large group so that they can have some of their own nationality on the ship together. And it didn't take them long to remember who I was. I told them my name is "Somsak," which is the Thai equivalent to the name David or Richard over here. They thought it was so funny. Fortunately for me my Thai has remained fairly strong despite my lack of using it. I even had a discussion with one of the women about Thai politics and the problems they are having right now. Thai political words are ones that I haven't used in a long time! At the end they each came up and gave me a special goodbye, and I hope I made that cruise a little bit more fun for them. They certainly added to the fun experience for me. -Dave
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment