Well the end of the first four weeks of law school have come to an end and I feel that I can finally tell everybody what law school here in San Diego is really like. Of course I have to talk about studying. Everybody has warned me about how tough the first year of law school is. I find that I agree in part and disagree in part. There are a lot of new terms and though processes which are definitely tough, and there is always homework to do. But I really have nothing else to do here except homework so the terms eventually work their way into my brain after hours and hours of reading about them. The homework is long and tiring but I never find it boring. Cases are fun to read and a challenge and when I get into a study zone I end up losing track of time, reading and writing about cases for several hours. I tend to study best when I at home, and usually between the hours of 6:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. I don't know why that's the case but I think it probably has something to do with the pressure to get homework done for the next day (I've always preformed better under pressure) and a wife that is so good to me that I have no excuse but to study. During the day I usually can get 2 or 3 hours of study in-between classes that are and hour and fifteen minutes each. I go to bed and can't seem to get the cases out of my head and dream about law...kinda bugs. I want to dream about me watching myself sleep. But I guess it's a good indicator of where my brain is.
As for my classes my first semester I have Contracts, Criminal Law, Property, Civil Procedure, and Legal Skills. My Civil Procedure professor is the kind that I was warned about; he's an active jewish attorney that taught some english on the side before becoming a professor at the law school. I think half the class was scrambling to look up the word "pronoun" when he stopped the first person to comment in class and got mad at him for using them.
All the professors here have really impressive resumes and have been teaching here for long periods of time, which makes me wonder why the school isn't higher in the ratings. I discussed it with my friend from the blue side and we came to two conclusions: 1. the private school status of the school prevents any in-state tuition and thus makes the school fairly expensive
2. in compensation for the higher expense you tend to see a lot of semi-local "trust fund" students (i.e. people that did ok in undergrad but their daddy/mommy does better in their chekcing account) and the awesome location of this school is of their main interest, not the school.
Well these are my thoughts on the beginning of law school career.
-Dave
1 comment:
Don't faint--Meg helped me figure out how to post a comment on a blog. Dave I love hearing that you find the study of law so interesting. I think you are well suited for this education. I also think you look mossy in your glasses. Shandie, congrats on the job--you will be the most beautiful hostess they've ever had.
Post a Comment